This is rich and very tasty. Use the freshest mushrooms you can get.
Do not let this boil as it will impair flavour
Serves: 6 (4 in reality)
2 onions, finely chopped
5 sticks of celery, very finely chopped
500g wild mushrooms (use different types, such as morel, chanterelle etc), chopped to your liking.
½ tsp of dried mixed herbs
½ tsp dried basil
1 tbsp gluten free flour (with xanthan gum)
275ml vegetable stock
100ml soured cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh chopped parsley
- Fry the onions and celery in a heavy based pan, using the butter. Keep the heat low and fry for about 5 minutes in total. The onions should then be transparent and very soft.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for about 3-4 minutes, or until the juice runs out of the mushrooms. Do not adjust the heat, keeping it low will seal in the flavour of the mushrooms.
- Add in the herbs and basil and stir in.
- Stir in the flour, making sure that you get rid of any lumps. If it is lumpy then beat vigorously. Cook for one minute.
- Add stock and seasoning. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the soured cream. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required. Return to the hob and heat up to serving temperature.
Serve immediately onto warm bowls/plates. Serve with rice or a heavy brown bread and salted butter.