This is the base recipe I use. I usually make a lot more and freeze into large cubes for use later.
30ml / 2tbsps olive oil
30g / 1 tbsp butter
1⁄2 a large onion, finely chopped
5 large sticks celery, finely chopped
3 or 4 garlic cloves, minced
135g tomato paste/puree (small box)
50g grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄2 tsp sugar
1⁄2 tsp black peppercorns
1 small bay leaf
1.5 tsp fennel seed
- In a large heavy frying pan or skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.
- Grind the black peppercorns and fennel with the salt, but not to a powder.
- Add passata and tomato paste and stir until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).
- Remove the bay leaf and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.