A simple tempura-style batter with bang bang sauce.
150g raw, peeled prawns
75g tapioca flour
salt/pepper to taste
vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Bang Bang Sauce
7 tbsp / 100ml mayonnaise
5 tbsp / 75ml sweet chili sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if needed)
- Combine mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Put 25g flour into a bowl and the remainder into another bowl. Season both bowls with salt and pepper.
- Break the egg into the smaller bowl and beat vigorously to make a smooth batter.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan OR prepare a deep fat fryer.
- Prepare large plate/baking tin covered in layers of kitchen paper.
- Dip the prawns, one at a time, into the prepared batter then into the bowl of flour.
- Carefully slide the prawns into the hot oil, a few at a time so the oil stays hot.
- Cook the prawns for 2-4 minutes depending on the heat and turning over if necessary until they are golden all over.
- Remove the cooked prawns onto the paper lined plate/tray and keep warm.