1kg bacon (I prefer half smoked, half unsmoked), sliced into very small pieces
1 bulb garlic / 10 cloves, finely chopped
2 medium/large brown onions
6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
500ml strong brewed coffee
150ml apple cider vinegar
150ml maple syrup
Tabasco or Sriracha sauce, to taste
- Fry the bacon in four batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Take the rendered bacon fat and keep to one side after each batch.
- Put all the bacon fat back in the pan and fry the onion and garlic gently until translucent.
- Transfer bacon, onion and garlic to a heavy based pan and add everything else except the water. I tend to add the Tabasco and Sriracha towards the last half hour of cooking
- Simmer for 2 hours adding 50ml of water every 20 minutes and keep stirring from time to time.
- Using a hand-held blender, pulse the mixture for a few seconds at a time until you reach a nice texture (personal preference is to eliminate bacon lumps and then stop).
- Keeps for weeks and weeks in the fridge in air-tight jars.